Monday, November 09, 2009

A part of Whitney Port

You cn read the whole interview that whitney did in the UK here. I chose the best parts.

What a gig! How on earth did it all come about?
It was by accident. Three years ago I heard that
Teen Vogue in Los Angeles was looking for interns, so I went along to the offices and presented myself, and they were, like, ‘Yes, there is an opening, but you need to know that it will involve being filmed by MTV. Would that be a problem?’
To be honest, I just really wanted to work at
Teen Vogue, so I said, ‘Sure, no problem!’ As well as the job interview, I had to do a screen test, and luckily it was a yes from the Teen Vogue editor and a yes from MTV. It was only when I turned up for my first day at work and saw Lauren Conrad [star of the hit reality show Laguna Beach] sitting at the desk opposite me that I realised what I had signed up for and that I had walked into a part on her new show The Hills. I was, like, ‘Ohmygod, what is this?’
A free pass into the world of a young person’s dream… I guess, but I didn’t really know what I was getting myself into, and to begin with, when I was on The Hills, there wasn’t a focus on me, I just got on with my day job But I became genuine friends with Lauren and I got to know the gang – Heidi Montag, Spencer Pratt, etc – who were already well-known. But in terms of attention, I just wasn’t in their league.

But then they relocated you to New York and gave you your own show.
I never expected this; I am the most drama-free, non-attention-seeking person out there. When the
MTV producers asked me to do The City I said, ‘Why me?’ I am so not the reality-TV-show type.

Perhaps that’s what appealed to MTV; you keep a sense of reality about you.
And what’s a reality TV show without some reality? I think they recognised that I am a neutral person, that they could base
The City on me and I’d be the solid one, the one that people could relate to. And I gave them a disclaimer; I said, ‘If you guys are looking for me to start the dramas, then I’m not that person.’

Lucky that they brought in Olivia Palermo then…
Yes, she’s good at creating drama out of nothing.
Olivia is a socialite and she can be difficult, cold and aloof, but I like to think that I balance that out.

So is Olivia for real or is she all sweetness and light when the cameras are turned off?
She’s for real. She acts like everyone’s the enemy and no matter how hard you try, it’s difficult to get through to her or become her friend. She thinks she is above everyone else.

What’s your latest fashion find?
I have an obsession with tights. There are so many cool patterned versions around. I love the ones
Henry Holland has done for Pretty Polly.

Yes, they look great on people like you, with legs to die for, but we’re not sure about the rest of us.
I think tights are great for everyone. You don’t have to do the patterned ones; maybe mix things up and try deep purple rather than black. It’s the easiest way to update an outfit.

On the first series of The City we watched you fall for and break up with Aussie musician Jay Lyon. It can’t be much fun living out a relationship on camera.
The most embarrassing moment of my TV career to date came when I found out from a friend that my boyfriend was cheating on me. Whoever you are and however it happens, that is a humbling, horrible moment, but when the cameras are on you, waiting for your reaction, you just feel pathetic and totally naive. And you wonder, did the producers know he was cheating? It gets very difficult to know who to trust.

So with Jay gone, you’re now playing the part of single girl
about town. Could you be the new Carrie Bradshaw?
Oh, I love
Sex and the City, but I’m more of a Charlotte! I love being single but, however much MTV would love it, I am not going to go on a different date every night.

You could probably take your pick of the city now. Who would be your dream date?
Ryan Gosling. I don’t really have a type, but I have a big crush on him. Hasn’t everyone?

FAVOURITE ACCESSORY?
I have a beige vintage Chanel bag that I take everywhere with me.

FAVOURITE DESIGNER?
Of all time? Valentino. His designs are so classic and beautiful.

YOGA OR GYM?
Gym. But I’ve not been for six weeks — I find it really difficult to get back on the wagon. Once I’m off, I’m off for a while.

CHOCOLATE OR CHEESE?
Dove Milk Chocolate Bars.

BRAD PITT, GEORGE CLOONEY OR ROBERT PATTINSON?
Oh, Brad. George is way too old for me.

JENNIFER OR ANGELINA?
Angelina, but we’re talking purely on a looks basis, right?

Interesting Tidbits
The City is filmed three or four days a week. Some characters, such as Whitney, are followed in every part of their lives, while others, such as Olivia, have contracts which state that they are only filmed at work. The producers do plan each day of filming. They will scout appropriate restaurants, clubs and cafés, and the stars then go to the locations that are scheduled for that day. So, not scripted but not spontaneous either.
xoxo,
Vicky

No comments: